Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Uruu-why as they call it.. ..urugay as we know it

well its been a very interesting past couple days. Saturday morning i woke up to head out to the Buquebus (the ferry) and grabbed my phone that had been charging to call me friends...it was completely dead. I had no choice but to keep on heading out the door and just hope that I'd run into my friends at the boat place. I was nervous because i was actually early and for those 5 minutes before they walked through the door, tons of possibilities were running through my head. Moments like these are the only times when i get really nervous about my spanish speaking abilities..when it really matters and you need to convey a serious need to someone.. THankfully though, as i was just about to ask the lady when the boat was scheduled to leave, my friends walk in! hooray... katie gave us our tickets that she had previously purchased and we sat down to have a little desayuno (breakfast). I think i've mentioned before, but breakfast is hardly a breaking of a fast.. they eat one medialuna (crossiant) and a cafecito (the smallest coffee you've ever seen!) and thats all! That doesnt cut it for me especially since my stomach has been acting funny.. so i got some cappuchino, a yogurt and ate the other goodies I brought from home. After taking it slow, we realized we should've just hoped in the boat immediately.. katie and I did a good job of NOT freaking out but quickly got on board..brittany, one of the girls with us was the last one on the boat and within 1 minute of boarding, we were off :) haha not how i usually like to do things but it worked out. The buquebus was very nice.. you could stand on top and watch buenos aires dance off in the distance, or stretch out on any of the unoccupied seats 4 chairs long..i did a little of both. I thought they drank alot of mate (tea like drink) in buenos aires, but i was wrong. They don't do it near as much as those uruguyans. There was a lively group of older adults who were enjoying their mate (the drink) and had their flag up.. a lively journalist came over and started to interview them about their whereabouts.. i listened for a little while, contemplated where I wanted to pose as a journalist for practice, and then decided to forego the opportunity for the time being. After we got to Colonia, we figured out how much money to change..23 uruguayo pesos to the dollar! and 6 UR to AR.. alot to keep in mind when decided how much money to take out..We mozied around the town into a little resturant and had a great meal. THe bread was to die for, so soft and moist, unlike the bread here in AR. We had a glorious pepsi and kept the bottles afterwards because they were so cool/antiqy. They had a fire in which they cooked our meal over and thankfully I got to warm up by it. Colonia was definitely much colder than buenos aires and I wasnt ready for that. We hoped on the bus to montevideo soon after our meal and it was a nice calming ride through farm land. katie, my travel partner, and I had a nice chat about various things..one thing i noticed while looking out the window was cows on leashes! haha what a funny concept. there were palm trees everywhere..kind of strange as there are none in BA..and also we saw the first 2 pigs i've seen in argentina because they dont really harvest them here like in the states. THe bus terminal in montevideo was happening and somehow we found our way to the taxi line. We arrived at our cute little hostel stuck right in between two buildings and got buzzed in (they have to let you in). Pocitos was the name and there were super friendly guys running the place. Pretty much from the get go we started to chat with the other visitors there. There was leila, an older indian woman super saturated in politics..very cynical i might add. I shall continue the description of the rest of our newfound friends luego! long day means i need some good rest. only 1 1/2 more weeks of school left!