Thursday, June 18, 2009

city mouse..


city life is an interesting one. Unfortunately I've been sick almost my whole time here and it's gotten progressively worse. THere are some funny things that happen here. ONe day i went to 6 bookstores looking for a bible (because i left mine on the plain when i got here 2 weeks ago) and every place told me a different place to go..then i went to this nice mall called alto palermo and was 1 step away from the bookstore when i felt a tap on my shoulder. I turn around to a young man rambling off spanish words and all i caught was linda y hermosa (beautiful). I didnt understand the last part so i said "como" and he was like i'll just talk in english. He was like I need to get your info so we can talk again and i was like.. umm thats not gonna happen becuase i dont know you. He asked for my email and again i said nope..sorry. and then asked for facebook and i just told him my first name. FInally he got the picture and accepted the reality and headed on his way. I am flattered he was so caught by my outward appearance but he also needed to realize i can only expect the worse from people here. I have run into a lot of friendly people but thats been during one on one conversations. The other day on the way home I was sitting on the bus and we were stopped at a light.. i was sitting backwards so facing the oncoming traffic when i noticed a boy trying to get on the same bus behind us.. he couldnt so he came to ours.. and they didnt let him on.. he went back to the first one, was obviously mad and then judo chopped the door and took off! haha crazy kid. my internship is going well and thats where i think i'll learn the most spanish. we basically look through newspapers searching for one of their 30 clients and when we find it we mark it. Today i didnt get to go to class or my internship because i woke up and felt horrible. I took a nap from 8-12 and then from 3-7.. im hoping i'll get better quickly because this is no fun. we had our second tango lesson last night and it went well however the tango here is equivalent to the waltz in the US.. ancient. I got my laundry done today for the second time thus far (bc i didnt bring enough socks or underwear and have yet to find some cheap ones) When i went to pick up my stuff.. i only brought enough pesos for one load which i though it was.. the guy was so nice and just told me to bring it in the morning.. my favorite strangers are the ones who work at the lavenderia! tomorrow we're going to eva perons grave and the zoo and im pumped! One thing i forgot was that we played soccer tues night! i knew there was a team but didnt know how it worked. kasey accompanied me and we went to club de amigos where we found the girls team about to practice. it was fun to goof off with them and be active for once. They played so daintilly there i felt like a monster on the field haha i wasnt playing too hard i am just use to being physical. We have practice again tues and then a game on sat (if i'm here). Thats all i can think of for now..i want some updates on things back in the states!!